Monday 27 April 2015

Miss, I haven't learnt anything!

argh...
The last week of term, and my year 10's are sitting an end of topic assessment.  A few of the students are talking to me about how they haven't learnt anything as there is not much written in their books.
The small person inside my head is simultaneously banging their head against my skull, sighing and walking away throwing a hissy fit.

Instead, as the words are forming in my mouth about the learning outcomes we have, and the activities we have done around these - the videos we have made, the google docs we have collaboratively produced, the experiment we planned and carried out.  But before I can get a word out - the other students sitting around are chipping in for me.  PHEW! Thank goodness!

Trying something new is scary.   And it does not always work, but I tried.  And I will take on board this students comments (along with the notes she turned up with at the next lesson - photocopied from a student in another class) and those of her classmates and try and build something better with our next unit of work.

The best moment came though from another source - a parent stopped and talked to me soon after and told me something their daughter had told them.   The student was so glad to have Mrs Hay as her science teacher this year because she is such a modern teacher, she does interactive things and the student is learning so much.  (yes, I am gloating a little here, but sometimes we all need a bit of a boost!)

I don't think I have ever been called a modern teacher before!

And I think I like it!

Oh - and if anyone is interested - my two year 10's ACED their assessment! BOOM!


No comments:

Post a Comment